TEAMSTERS CANADA YOUTH COMMITTEE
During a meeting held in January 2009, the Teamsters Canada Executive Board has voted in favour of the creation of a national Youth Committee in its organization.
On June 9, 2009, during the 10th Convention of Teamsters Canada, a resolution to this effect has been adopted in unanimity by the attending delegates.
The Committee’s mandate is to provide a voice for the young members, advise Teamsters Canada on matters of interest to the young members, and support Teamsters Canada in its activities.
The Committee is dedicated to promoting the interests of the youth and give them a voice within our union, and generally improve the economic and social well being of such youth members.
The main purpose of the Committee is to unify young members of the different Local Unions, through local, regional, provincial and national networks. Young members represent a substantial percentage of the Teamsters Union membership and they are a powerful resource for the union. The Committee believes that active participation of the youth will enhance our union's strength at the bargaining table, in organizing campaigns and in the political arena.
To that effect, the objectives of the Committee shall include, but are not limited to, the following:
• to unite youth for the purpose of promoting economic, cultural, civic, legislative, political, social and union activities, and/or other activities which, directly or indirectly, further the interests of the Committee;
• to achieve, through a close association, a stronger bond of solidarity and understanding among the representatives of our union bodies;
• to advance and strengthen our union organization, and change perceptions in the community and in the labour movement for a better future;
• to assist and/or to join other organizations having purposes and objectives similar to those of the Committee;
• to engage in community activities which will advance the interests of the Committee;
• to promote values such as unity, pride, education and respect within our Union and community;
• to bridge the gap between younger members and older members;
• to encourage leadership within the young members.
Join the Teamsters Canada Youth Committee on Facebook to Learn more and particpate www.facebook.com/tcyc.cjtc